Adding A Video To Your Website
The easiest way to put watchable video on your site may be to upload it to YouTube and then put their coding on your site - people can then view the video on your website.
1. Set up a free YouTube.com account
2. Covert the video to a file format Youtube accepts, like:
- WebM files - Vp8 video codec and Vorbis Audio codecs
- .MPEG4, 3GPP and MOV files - Typically supporting h264, mpeg4 video codecs, and AAC audio codec
- .AVI - Many cameras output this format - typically the video codec is MJPEG and audio is PCM
- .MPEGPS - Typically supporting MPEG2 video codec and MP2 audio
- .FLV - Adobe-FLV1 video codec, MP3 audio
You may need to download video converting software to convert your video file to one of those above. The file converter we use is: Leawo Video Converter
Some files Youtube does NOT accept are:
- MSWMM and WLMP: You can easily convert these project files to .WMV.
- Audio files (MP3, WAV, etc.) and Image files (JPG, PNG, etc.): Convert these files to video slideshows.
3. Upload the file to YouTube.
4. "Embed" code will be generated so you can add the playable video to your site.
5. Place that coding on your website where you'd like the video to appear.
Pros and Cons
Pro: easy to do, uses YouTubes bandwidth instead of yours
Con: tiny YouTube video thumbnails will be available under your video after it's viewed unless you turn that feature off in Youtube
Want Another Option?
If you have the video in a web-viewable format such as .WMV you can simply upload it to your hosting space and put a link to it on one of your pages. When viewers click the link, they'll either download or view the video, depending on their browser and plug-ins.
Keep in mind that sharing video embedded on your website uses extra bandwidth.
Resource Site for:
How to Embed Anything in Your Website
Return to Marketing Tutorials