Instagram New Changes + Bonus TipsNov12021
There’s always revisions and enhancements to social media apps, but this month has been particularly busy in the world of Instagram.
Here are a few of the changes you may or may not have already seen on Instagram:
Instagram Insights – New Metrics Added
Creator and Business account users will gain a better understanding of how their content is performing. Insights has been expanded to include individuals who interact with an account without actually following it.
New metrics available in Insights are:
- Accounts engaged:
Will reveal how many accounts, in total, have interacted with your Instagram content over a period of time.
- Reached Audience:
Provides demographic insights (cities, countries, age, gender) into all people reached over a period of time.
- Engaged audience:
Collects demographic data (will include cities, countries, age and gender) relating to users who engage with a specific account and content, regardless of whether they are a follower.
This feature allows two different accounts to share a feed post or a Reel. One account can invite another account to be a collaborator.
- Both names will appear on header.
- Share to both sets of followers.
- Goes Live on both profile grids.
- Share views, lines and comments.
Global Rollout of Desktop Publishing
7 Steps for Instagram publishing on a desktop:
- In your browser, navigate to instagram.com, and sign in to your account.
- Click the plus symbol in the Top Right corner of the screen.
This will be the same button you use to create a post in the mobile app.
A Create new post window will pop-up.
- Drag a photo or video file into the pop-up window, or click ‘Select from computer’ to browse and pick files from your PC or Mac. To create a carousel post, select up to 10 files.
- Click the frame icon in the bottom Left corner of the pop-up to change the ratio of your image or video.
The zoom feature can also be used (looking glass icon located bottom Left) to drag your file to edit your frame. When finished, click ‘Next’ located in top Right corner.
- Edit your image. Select one of 12 preset effects in the Filters tab.
Can also use the Adjustments tab and manually adjust specs such as brightness, contrast and fade.
- Write your caption. Click on the smiley face icon to browse and pick emojis.
Options are to:
Type in a location in the Add location bar.
Restrict commenting in Advanced settings.
Add alt text to your files in the Accessibility section.
- Last step is to Click Share.
New Reel Effects Added
Three new video editing features for Reels:
Helps users create videos paced to the beat of the audio clip of their choosing, automatically applying edits based on the selected audio track.
- Dynamic Lyrics:
This karaoke-style effect automatically ads song lyrics to a Reel for users (and audiences) to sing along to.
- 3D Lyrics:
The same as Dynamic Lyrics, but in 3D.
Native Integration with WhatsApp
Businesses can now directly connect their WhatsApp business account to Instagram by simply adding a WhatsApp business number to their contact information.
Businesses with boosted posts can drive traffic directly to their WhatsApp accounts, and start conversations with prospective customers.
Here’s how to boost posts that drive to WhatsApp, as described on the Instagram Business blog:
- Under profile settings, add your WhatsApp business number to ‘contact options’ on your Instagram business account.
- Choose an existing post on your Instagram business account that would inspire your audience.
- Click the blue boost button, choose messages and select WhatsApp.
- Set a goal, audience, budget and duration for your ad that will help you reach your objectives.
- Review your selections, preview your ad and tap ‘create your ad.'
- Once approved, your ad will go live within 24 hours.
Instagram Live Scheduling Tools
New Live tools will now make it easier for publishers to schedule and promote live broadcasts on Instagram. Users can now schedule live sessions 90 days in advance using the Live Creation form.
Creators will also have the option to share their upcoming live broadcasts with a new Stories sticker and as a feed post to encourage people to sign up for reminders.
Bye-Bye to IGTV
Instagram has done away with IGTV and feed videos, which will now be combined into one format and labeled as ‘Instagram Video’.
Per Instagram, changes include:
- Ability to create 60-second previews for longer-form content.
(previews will be 15 seconds when a creator uses in-stream video ads)
- New Video Tab on Profile (replaces IGTV profile tab).
- Editing features include trimming, applying filters, adding account and location tags.
- Ability to upload captions.
- People and location tagging.
Be in the Know
Businesses who want to know when new changes happen, can follow @instagramforbusiness on Instagram.
BONUS Instagram Tips
Things you shouldn’t do:
- Don’t post in a hodge-podge fashion, define a strategy with goals.
- Don’t over-think your posts, you can always make the next one better.
- Don’t push the exact same content across all platforms, personalize to each social account.
- Don’t go overboard on sales-dialog, cultivate relationships first, and sales will follow.
- Don’t expect rapid results because social media accounts takes time to grow.
Things you should do:
- Get comfortable with being authentic and relatable.
- Make a posting schedule and post on a consistent basis.
- Always use the ‘Link in Bio’ to promote landing pages, web pages or specific posts.
- Always add a relevant CTA (call-to-action) to boost engagement.
- Regularly interact and engage with followers.
- Frequently analyze insight data to see where tweaks are needed.