Tips for Running a Simple Ecommerce WebsiteSep282020
Thinking about selling online?
Not sure why your existing ecommerce site isn’t bringing in sales?
Here are a few tips for how to setup your online shop to compete with local, regional and international brands.
No Clutter Allowed.
Statistics show ecommerce sites with simple overall design and layout produce higher conversion rates.
Categorize products into logical groups to reduce customer confusion.
Refine the Checkout Process
Each additional step in the checkout process leads to a higher risk of cart abandonment.
Offer Multiple Payment Options
Allow people to use the payment method most convenient for them.
More payment options translate into more sales for you.
Product Detail and Photos
- Product descriptions should be informative, detailed, and to the point. Save rambling product stories for blog posts.
- If you sell a product that requires a demonstration, include a video.
- Quality product images are important. Include close-ups with different angle views, and make zoom-in options available.
Customer Service Support
Some transactions may experience issues or someone may be ready to click the ‘buy’ button but have a question.
Offer multiple communication methods that include:
- Clickable Phone Number
- Live Chat
- Contact Form
Crystal Clear Purchase Policies
- Consider free shipping - it’s always a people-pleaser. Buyers tend to hesitate if they see extra charges tacked on for shipping costs.
- Use an ecommerce platform that easily calculates location-based tax amounts.
- Dedicated FAQs for Shipping, Returns, and Customer Service are recommended.
Shipping policy should include:
- Average processing time for orders.
- Locations you ship to - countries, PO Boxes, APO/FPO, etc.
- Expected delivery timeline with options and cost for ground, express, overnight, local delivery, etc.
- Taxes, customs duties, and any additional fees, if applicable.
Return policy should include:
- If returns are allowed, under what circumstances.
- How customer should handle items damaged in shipping.
- Policy for refund on defective items.
- How long a customer has to return an item.
- What condition the item must be in to qualify for a return.
- Who is responsible for the shipping cost on a returned item.
- How refunds are credited.
- Return address, shipping method required, and how to print a return shipping label.
Make it a priority to optimize your ecommerce website for mobile devices.
2020 has shown 167 million U.S. buyers make purchases on a mobile device, with 2024 predictions reaching close to 200 million.
Currently buyers from mobile devices account for 60.9 percent of the U.S. population.
Use Automated Email
Grow an email list that will become your communication lifeline to:
- Connecting your online store and importing contacts.
- Create segmented contact lists (by product, interest, location, etc) for targeted emails.
- Sync new contacts and send automated welcome emails.
- Automatically trigger abandoned cart emails to customers.
- Easily create campaigns with drag-and-drop tools.
- Insert coupons and special offers, then track your results.
- Drive traffic to your website.
Above All Else:
Choose a Dependable and Accessible Web Hosting Service
You want a host that provides speed.
You don’t want site crashes, slow load times, or glitches.
You want a host that provides personal service that includes reaching a live person if issues arise.
Easy to Use CMS
A CMS (content management system) is the platform used for managing all of the content you publish on your site.
There are many to choose from, and include:
It’s best to consult with an ecommerce specialist to determine which CMS platform is best suited to your specific ecommerce needs.