5 Image SEO Tips to Increase Organic TrafficSep142020
Visual marketing has become an important bridge to connect with those seeking what you’re offering.
Why Has Visual Search Become So Popular?
- Has become essential in most digital shopping experiences, and is especially important for e-commerce Brands.
- Many people don’t know what they want but “will know” when they see it. Some know what they want, but don’t know what it’s called.
- Is a growing opportunity with the potential to push significant organic traffic and conversions.
Are You Missing Out on Organic Opportunities from Image Search?
Let’s take a look at a few Tips to boost your traffic from Google with image optimization.
1) Optimize Image Name
Assign an image file name to reflect what the image is about, and how it’s relevant to you and your business.
2) Use Appropriate File Type
- JPG is the most common format for photographs.
- PNG is best for line drawings, text, and when a transparent background is required.
- GIF is best for moving images.
- Always use the extension offering highest quality at optimal compression.
3) Apply Schema Markup
- Google currently supports schema markup for Products, Videos, Recipes and GIFs.
- Schema markup helps people find relevant content quickly.
- In mobile search results, Google displays badges on image thumbnails that identify the type of content associated with an image.
4) Watermark Your Images
- Watermarks are standard practice for artists and photographers, but watermarks are not just for copyright purposes.
- Watermarked images that discreetly display your Brand name and URL can generate more site visitors, than just basic optimization.
- Watermarks let people know where the image came from, and where to go for similar content.
5) Use LSI Keywords
- LSI keywords are phrases and terms related to one another, and refer to the same topic.
- Most effective when used as secondary keywords that relate to a primary keyword.
- Can help your content rank for a broader variety of search terms with increased visibility.
Try this free LSI Keyword Generator
Factors Google Uses for Image Ranking Include:
- Crawl-ability, Discover-ability and Index-ability.
- Page Topical Relevance.
- Page Authority.
- Image Captions.
- Image Popularity.
- Related Images.
- Image Attributes.
- Image Load Time.
- If Schema is Used to Relay Context.
Google continues to add more weight to photos in image search results. Information about people, products, and places are pulled from Google’s Knowledge graph - so it’s a no-brainer for you to tap into optimization and generate more traffic for your website.
What’s the Google Knowledge Graph?
The Google Knowledge Graph is a knowledge base used by Google and their services to enhance search engine results with information gathered from a variety of sources. This ‘knowledge base’ is also used within their Google Assistant and Google Home voice queries.